London, Feb 9 (EFE) – Prince Harry, the youngest son of King Charles III of England, has settled the remainder of his phone-hacking case and will receive “substantial additional compensation” from Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN), his legal team announced Friday.
Lawyer David Sherborne, who represents Prince Harry, said MGN had agreed to compensate the prince for damages and would also pay all costs arising from the lawsuit, including individual and joint costs, which could amount to about 400,000 pounds (about US$505,000).
In December, the High Court in London ruled that Harry had been the victim of unlawful information gathering, including phone hacking, by journalists at the Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror and Sunday People tabloids with the knowledge of their editors.
Judge Timothy Fancourt awarded the prince 140,600 pounds ($177,170) in damages after Harry became the first senior royal in more than 130 years to be cross-examined in a courtroom.
The High Court in London then considered only 33 of 148 articles that Harry’s legal team said were prepared from information obtained by illegal means between 2003 and 2009, and found for him in 15.
Sherborne said MGN had now agreed to pay further substantial damages to settle the outstanding claims.
“Where historical wrongdoing took place, we apologize unreservedly, have taken full responsibility and paid compensation,” a spokesman for MGN said.
In a statement read by Sherborne on behalf of Prince Henry, he emphasized the “positive change” that the conclusion of the case will bring.
“As I said back in December, our mission continues. I believe in the positive change it will bring for all of us. It is the very reason why I started this, and why I will continue to see it through to the end,” the Duke said.
Prince Harry, who lives in the US with his wife Meghan and their two children, also criticized journalist Piers Morgan – former editor of the Mirror – for his “continued attacks” on him.
“We call again for the authorities to uphold the rule of law and to prove that no one is above it. That includes Mr Morgan, who as editor, knew perfectly well what was going on, as the judge held,” he added.
Morgan replied on his X (formerly Twitter) account that he agreed with the duke about press interference.
“I totally agree with Prince Harry that ruthless intrusion into the private lives of the royal family for financial gain is utterly reprehensible … and I hope he stops doing it,” Morgan said in reference to the prince criticizing his own family through for Netflix. EFE