James Spencer III, 22, now faces serious charges after his alleged involvement in an incident targeting a registered offender, Sean Connery Showers, 37. According to authorities, Spencer made up an online sting operation, posing as a minor to lure Showers under pretenses. This ultimately resulted in Showers’ fatal shooting.
The Houston Police Department said it occurred on May 29, 2023. Sean Connery Showers approached a vehicle during the early morning hours and was shot by Spencer, who remained unidentified until later investigations. The Gulf Coast Violent Offenders Task Force apprehended Spencer without incident.
Spencer’s motive was his belief that authorities were not adequately addressing the issue of child predators. During a court appearance, a judge found probable cause to proceed with the murder charge against James Spencer III, as reported by The People.
Investigation reveals details of Sean Connery Showers’s murder
In the early hours of May 29, 2023, a passerby stumbled upon the lifeless body of 37-year-old Sean Connery Showers in a ditch on the 900 block of Northwood Street, as reported by Houston Police in a News Release.
Surveillance footage captured a car pulling up at approximately 3:50 a.m., halting briefly, and unleashing a barrage of what investigators described as “automatic-like” gunfire before fleeing the scene in haste.
Showers’s phone, found beneath his body, provided insights into the events leading to his demise. Investigators discovered exchanges on a social media app where Showers had arranged to meet someone at Montie Beach Park.
According to Rehman Merchant, chief prosecutor for the 179th District Court, the communications between Showers and his assailant, identified as Spencer III, were sexually charged. Spencer was posing as an underage individual. The meeting left Showers with multiple gunshot wounds and Spencer on the run, as reported by KPRC.
Following an intensive search, Spencer III was apprehended by the Gulf Coast Violent Offenders Task Force.
New details emerge about the troubling past of Sean Connery Showers
Sean Connery Showers was previously convicted of possessing child pornography in 2009 and later for failing to register as a sex offender in 2019. Federal authorities revealed that Showers’s prior convictions resulted in a 30-month prison sentence, followed by an additional two-year term for failure to comply with offender registration requirements, as reported by ABC 13.
During a press conference covered by ABC 13, prosecutor Rehaman Merchant said that James Spencer III, the alleged perpetrator of Showers’s murder, orchestrated a cunning plan. He set up a meeting with Showers and made sure to know about his whereabouts on the night of the murder.
Andy Kahan, Victim Services Director of Houston Crime Stoppers, described it as “diabolically cunning.” Merchant emphasized the importance of upholding the rule of law as reported by The People.
“Regardless of the likability of the victim, we’re a nation of laws. So no one gets to be judge, jury, and executioner depending on how they feel.”
Currently held in the Harris County Jail on a $250,000 bond, Spencer III faces potential life imprisonment if convicted, as reported by KPRC.