If you are a parent and subscribe to HBO Max, you can restrict content to only kid-friendly using parental controls on HBO Max. This guide explains how.
If you are an HBO Max subscriber and have young kids, you might want to use parental controls on HBO Max. The built-in child safety option allows you to block inappropriate content safely.
Some of the most popular shows on HBO are aimed at adults, but HBO Max includes thousands of hours of kid-friendly programming. Parental controls will help you limit what your child watches on HBO based on content safety ratings.
If you need a way to let your child watch Sesame Street but not Game of Thrones, creating a kid’s account on HBO Max is your best solution.
How to Add a Kid Profile on HBO Max
One of the best ways to get started is to add a kid profile to HBO Max. Your child’s home page will display content for younger kids between the ages of two and nine. Adding a kid profile is straightforward after signing in and creating a secure PIN.
Note: This article uses screenshots from the HBO Max web version, but the steps are virtually the same using the mobile app or television.
To create a PIN on HBO Max:
- If you aren’t already, sign in to HBO Max and open Settings.
- Navigate to Parental Controls from the list of options and click Edit.
- Enter a four-digit PIN.
- Select OK after creating (or changing) your PIN.
- Close out of Settings and go back to the Home screen.
- Under your profile, click Add Kid.
- Select the profile picture to choose a kid-friendly character from HBO.
Note: To add a photo, use the mobile app on your phone or tablet.
- Choose a theme for the profile, type in a name for the account, enter a birth date, and then click Next.
- Set the maximum rating that your kid can access. For example, you can choose from G to NC-17 for movies and TV-Y to TV-MA for television programs.
- Ensure Require PIN to switch profiles is toggled on so your child can’t access the content you watch.
- Click Save.
- You will be redirected to the sign-in screen, where you’ll find the new kid profile next to yours. The kid profile will display a lock icon indicating it’s locked down.
- Selecting the kid’s profile will display age-appropriate content (lots of Sesame Street and Looney Tunes) for previews and show selections.
- The PIN screen will display if your child tries to access your profile or content you haven’t allowed. If you forget the PIN, you can have it reset via an email to you as the parent.
How to Change Kid Account Settings on HBO Max
You can change your HBO Max kid account settings further. For example, you can’t change a kid profile to an adult profile, but you can control the type of content your young one sees.
To change kid profile settings on HBO Max:
- Click your profile icon and select Switch Profiles.
- Click Manage Profiles at the bottom of the screen.
- Select the Kid account you want to manage.
- Enter your PIN.
- Now, select the movie and television ratings you want to allow for the account and tap or click the Save button. You can also change the profile picture and name from this section.
Once you increase the ratings, HBO Max will display additional content on the home page based on your chosen ratings. Also, in addition to video previews at the top, a kid profile includes the Continue Watching and My List rows.
The included search feature also includes limited results based on your settings. For example, they won’t see search results that include House of the Dragon. If you’re traveling, HBO will apply the same restrictions to your account, no matter where you are.
In addition to controlling content based on ratings, the age you set for the account controls the home screen experience. HBO Max offers four different profiles based on age, from little kids to teens.
Keeping Kids Safe While Streaming
You might not think of HBO when considering children’s programming, but it has a lot of content from Sesame Street, Looney Tunes, Cartoon Network, and other WarnerBros properties. The platform features beloved characters like Elmo, Bugs Bunny, Scooby Doo, and many others in its extensive collection of content for you to view.
Of course, other streaming services include parental control features. For example, you might want to enable parental controls on Netflix, or you can use parental controls on Disney Plus. And if you enjoy content from Apple, you can use parental controls on Apple TV Plus.
Parental control options aren’t just for streaming services, either. Using a PC, you can set up content management for kids using parental controls on Windows 11. Or, if you aren’t on the new version of the OS yet, learn about using Family options on Windows 10.
Click Here For The Original Source.