Arabic Arabic Chinese (Simplified) Chinese (Simplified) Dutch Dutch English English French French German German Italian Italian Portuguese Portuguese Russian Russian Spanish Spanish
| (844) 627-8267

Gambler suspected of dying in fire after hacking family | #hacking | #cybersecurity | #infosec | #comptia | #pentest | #hacker | #hacking | #aihp

Eunice Lam

A 49-year-old man is believed to have hacked his wife and daughter before lighting their public housing unit in Wong Tai Sin on fire allegedly after his mother refused to help him pay his gambling debt of over HK$1.5 million.

Firefighters had found fire accelerants in the flat and considered the blaze suspicious.

Police said the family living there had no record of domestic violence, but the man’s debts will be one of the focuses of their investigation.

Police officers were called to Kwai Tung House, Tung Tau Estate, at around 7.20 am yesterday, after receiving a report that a flat on the seventh floor of the building was on fire and that someone was stabbed.

Firefighters rushed to the scene within five minutes, and the blaze was put out in 30 minutes at around 7.47 am.

A charred body of a male was found inside the flat, and police officers were still identifying him, said acting chief inspector of operations for the Wong Tai Sin police district, Kwok Chun-hei, at a media briefing.

When police officers rushed to the scene, the 49-year-old mother Lo was found with a stab wound on the back of her head, and her 16-year-old daughter sustained injuries on her wrist and left forehead. Both were in serious condition but remained conscious in hospital.

Lo and her two daughters — including a 12-year-old girl who was not injured – were later sent to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Jordan.

After a preliminary investigation, it was believed that the man used a knife to attack Lo and his elder daughter in the flat and that Lo and her two daughters managed to escape from the unit and sought help from a neighbor before the fire broke out.

”Police will investigate to determine the cause of the fire and how the injuries were sustained,” Kwok said.

”It is important to note that this is an isolated incident, likely resulting from a family dispute.”

Explosions were also heard at the scene. Fire Services Department senior station officer Choi Wing-yiu said a fire accelerant was found at the scene, and that the flame spread was unusual.

Choi added that, upon Towngas staffers’ inspection, no signs pointed it was caused by gas leakage.

It is believed the fire started in the flat’s bedroom.

Kwok said the family was referred to the Social Welfare Department, while officers from the Wong Tai Sin district crime squad handled the case.

Sources said the man was a construction worker and had recently racked up a gambling debt of HK$1.5 million.

Some 30 residents were evacuated.

Three women, aged between 22 to 60, who felt unwell from smoke inhalation were sent to Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

Click Here For The Original Source.