According to NCRB (National Crime Records Bureau), India registered 52,974 cyber crimes in 2021. The number of cyber crimes increased by 6 per cent year over year, indicating that the crime rate is growing alarmingly in India.
If you have been duped by someone online, you can register a cyber crime complaint in India online.
In this article, we talk about what cybercrime is, the requirements for registering a cybercrime complaint, and how to register a cybercrime complaint in India.
What is Cyber Crime?
Cybercrime is a type of crime that involves a computer or the internet. A cybercrime harms someone’s finances or security, and it usually involves financial fraud, typically handled by a cyber fraudster online. There are many different types of cyber crimes, including computer fraud, financial fraud, cyberterrorism, cyberextortion, cybersex trafficking, job fraud, matrimonial fraud, ad fraud, etc.
|Who can register a complaint?||Everyone|
Valid ID card, phone number, email address, and a screenshot of the incident.
|Types of cyber crimes||
Cyberbullying, cyberstalking, child pornography, cyber fraud, online job fraud, cyber extortion, cyber terrorism, cybersex trafficking, and more.
WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, Telegram, X (formerly Twitter), Gmail, and more.
In India, cyber financial fraud and scams are the most widespread cyber crimes, and you might have faced fraud or scams like that already.
You can get help from Indian Police Force by registering a cyber crime complaint in India using National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal.
What is National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal?
National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal is an online portal from the Government of India to enable victims of cyber crimes to report these complaints, including cyber fraud, easily without visiting a police station. This portal makes registering a complaint easier, with a special focus on cyber crimes against women and children.
Requirements For Registering A Cyber Crime Complaint In India
- Valid national ID – Aadhar, Voters ID, or Passport
- Mobile number
- Email ID
- Screenshot of the incident, if any.
How To Register Cyber Crime Complaints Online In India?
Here are the steps to register a cyber complaint online in India:
- Visit the National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal.
- In the portal, under ‘Report Cyber Crime’ in the navigation bar, select ‘Other Cyber Crime.’
- On the next page, click the ‘File a complaint’ button.
- Accept the terms and conditions by clicking the ‘I Accept’ button.
- Now, on the next page, you must log in to your National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal account first.
- Click the ‘Click Here for New User’ option to register a new account.
- Select your state from the list of states given.
- Enter the Login ID you want to use; NCCRP suggests you use your email ID.
- Enter your mobile number, and use the Get OTP button to get an OTP on your phone to verify the number.
- Enter the OTP and enter the Captcha on the page as well.
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button after this.
- Now, you must complete the User Profile Details by giving out your Name, DOB, Gender, Email ID, Father/Mother/Spouse, and Address.
- After that, Click on the ‘Report Cyber Crime’ button.
- Now, select the Category and Sub-Category of the Complaint from the list.
- You have to enter the date and time of the incident and mention if there is a delay in reporting.
- Now, select from the list where the incident occurs. You can choose from one of the Email, Facebook, Instagram, Telegram, Twitter lists, etc.
- After entering these, click the ‘Save as Draft & Next’ button.
- On the next page, enter the Suspect details.
- Now enter the Complainant details on the next page. You’ll need to upload any of your (or the victim’s if you’re complaining for someone else) national ID (Aadhar, Voters ID, or Passport).
- In the final step, Preview & Submit the complaint to complete filing the cybercrime complaint online.
- You’ll get an Acknowledgement Number, which you will need for future reference.
Cyber Crime Helpline Number
National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal also has a helpline number, which you can dial to register a complaint online. If you’re a victim of Financial Cuber Fraud, you can dial the helpline number – 1930.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I report cybercrime?
You can report cyber crime via the National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal.
Does cybercrime refund money?
After making a complaint with NCCRP and a police station near you, there is a chance for you to get your money back.
Can I report a cyber crime on the bases of WhatsApp chat?
Cybercrime complaints can be made based on WhatsApp chat; NCCRP accepts WhatsApp chats for complaints.
What is the punishment for cyber complaints?
Depending on the gravity of the committed cybercrime, Section 419 carry a punishment of up to 3 years of imprisonment or a fine, and Section 420 carries up to 7 years in prison or a fine.
How do I get my money back after being cheated online in India?
You have to report the fraud to your Bank’s fraud team and report the incident on National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal.